Commissary and Mess Hall, Building 1
Let’s go shopping! The Commissary/Mess Hall, built in 1922, was one the first buildings constructed at NTC. The commissary was a huge grocery store where both sailors on shore duty and officers’ wives enjoyed tax-free shopping and prices that were 20 percent less than civilian stores. Since recruits ate in the mess hall, they usually didn’t have to shop for groceries at the commissary.