Directions To This Location Return to Overview
Location 4

John and Alice Finn Plaza

Originally built in 1942 as a naval medical clinic, the facility is named for one of the first heroes of World War II, John W. Finn, and his wife, Alice. Serving as a chief aviation ordnance man at Naval Station Kaneohe Bay, Finn woke to the sound of gunfire on the morning of December 7, 1941, during the first wave of the Japanese attack on Oahu. He jumped out of bed and rushed to his post. He manned a machine gun in a completely exposed area, shooting down aircraft over the next 18 hours, despite being wounded more than 20 times. Nine months later he was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor by Admiral Chester W. Nimitz.

Did you know?
At the time of his death, Finn was the oldest living Medal of Honor recipient and the last living recipient from the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Location 4

Sign up for Email list