Directions To This Location Return to Overview
Location 13

Buildings 27, 28, 29 & 30

Life was pretty busy around Buildings 27, 28, 29, and 30 when they first opened as part of a massive expansion of the base in 1932. These four buildings were the center of Navy life for recruits and each housed 100 to 150 men. During the early years of NTC, new recruits slept in hammocks at night and removed them by day.

Adjacent to the barracks, Building 30 served as the base’s “mall,” where recruits could get a trim at the barbershop, stop at the post office for a letter from home, or grab a pizza or meal at the cafeteria. The courtyard area was used for marching, drilling, and as a practice area for the Navy Band.

Did you know?
The Naval Band San Diego was established at Balboa Park before the opening of NTC and played in the center’s inaugural ceremony. Two of the four first school were for bugler and band.

Location 13

Sign up for Email list