Directions To This Location Return to Overview
Location 2

Commissary and Mess Hall, Building 1

Let’s go shopping! The Commissary/Mess Hall, built in 1922, was one the first buildings constructed at NTC. The commissary was a huge grocery store where both sailors on shore duty and officers’ wives enjoyed tax-free shopping and prices that were 20 percent less than civilian stores. Since recruits ate in the mess hall, they usually didn’t have to shop for groceries at the commissary.

Location 2

Sign up for Email list